Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Shiny New Rusty Pelican

Sea Bass Ceviche ($11)

Yesterday may not have been an ideal day to go try the Rusty Pelican, but the miami.com crew was gathering to celebrate a teammate's birthday. So I put on my trenchcoat (belted at the waist, of course) and braved a torrential rainstorm to get a little grub. Late last year I had been tasked with doing a write up on the Rusty Pelican before they had reopened so I really wanted to get in there and have a look-taste.

Before the renovation, the Rusty Pelican had become notorious for being just that - very rusty. The decor was 1970's dockside-kitch and dated beyond repair. So they had a $7 million head-to-toe extreme restaurant make over. While the reviews on Yelp! are a bit mixed, I was impressed with the results.  I really liked everything I got to try, which was in this order: sea bass ceviche (cleverly served in a tin can),  caprese salad and a delicious, light as air backed crab cake that was big enough for a meal ($11). I also tried lots of little chocolaty desserts and a cake that certainly had espresso in it. The views are still spectacular and now the interior is too with nice contemporary decor that feels... dare I say "cozy"?   I advise you to go yourself and give it a try.

Nice views even on a stormy day
press pic of interior

3201 Rickenbacker Cswy  Key Biscayne, FL 33149

(305) 361-3818

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary