Sunday, April 29, 2012

I Found My Old Car!

My Laser when it was new.. in Ohio

Don't you sometimes wonder what happens to your old cars after you sell them? Who is driving them? In what state? Well, I might have just found my first car in a parking lot in a strip mall in Delray, Florida. It's the exact same model, color and interior and it even appears to have a little dent I sold it with in the back bumper. Which means it just could be my old car.

Some of my friends might tell you my first car was a white Suzuki Samurai, but that was a hand-me-down from my parents. Yes, my dad used to commute in that thing. But the first car that I got to select and buy myself was a used Plymouth Laser RS Turbo. It did have 40,000 miles at the time, but they were all highway-- the car was in pristine condition.



For those of you that aren't' familiar with the Plymouth Laser, it was the (ever-so-slightly) more upscale sister car to the Mitsubishi Eclipse and Eagle Talon, which were nearly identical. The car was only made from 1990-1994, giving way to the Talon and finally, the more popular Eclipse. But in it's heyday it was awesome. The RS turbo had a silky smooth leather-wrapped stick shift and 190 hp of turbo-charged nuttiness, without anything like all-wheel drive to keep it grounded. Boys loved to drive it, and most girls didn't know how.

It was a very cool American car for the time, really. It had automatic pop up headlights, an automatic seatbelt and a very cool graphic equalizer which my friend Michael C turned into it's own instrument one crazy morning much to the delight of the whole car load. It didn't have a CD player, but tape decks were still the norm then. One problem I did have was that the hubcaps were alway falling off. After a while, I just stopped trying to replace them - like the owners of the above car also obviously did.

Could this be it?



The one I found was showing it's age. It was banged up, the windshield wipers are rusted, the pop-up headlamps are forever stuck in the "on" position, the automatic seat belt obviously doesn't return to the right position and the fabric seats are ripped. But still, it could have been mine. Even if it's not, just seeing one on the street again made me feel more than a little bit of nostalgia for my long lost Laser.

Steve's pictures make it look even older!  


11 comments:

  1. Oh, it just might be yours! Did your heartbeat stop for a moment when you saw that car? Did it feel a lot like you were looking at your car then? Hehe, I think mine would if that happened to me. I just noticed a minor difference on its tires. Hm, maybe the new owner changed it. Anyway… at least you found something worth looking back. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww… I felt the same when I sold my old hatchback not too long ago. I think that calls for a new car for me. Of course, it’s wise if we purchase one that is affordable and ready for modifications. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, aside from affordability, one must consider the quality also. :) Affordability and quality always goes together. Patience is a must when buying a car. Don’t rush in once you find a car that you really like. Take your time and do your due diligence to be able to determine if this car is worth the purchase.

      Delete
  3. What a coincidence for you to see your car there in that parking is just amazing! Indeed, for most people, their first ride is always memorable, especially if you were the one who bought it yourself. I’m sure memories came flooding in when you saw that car again. But it was a good thing you were able to sell it right away to someone else who could use it. Some owners tend to park their old cars in garages and leave it to rot. It is better to sell it to another person and make a profit before the car’s market value goes down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. “It did have 40,000 miles at the time, but they were all highway-- the car was in pristine condition.” – Wow, that’s quite a good deal. Hmm. For how long were you able to use the car?

    Timmy Radloff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reunited, and it feels so good! I know how it feels, Hadley. Mine was a red Volkswagen Passat. Well, I didn’t really sell it; I just lent it to my cousin who lived cities away from ours. It’s a good feeling to see it still running, though they changed the color to blue. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Seeing an old car is like seeing an ex boyfriend/girlfriend that you once loved. It's such a shame to see your Plymouth Laser rusting. :P The owner must have been really careless. So car owners, if you don't want to end up waking up in the morning seeing your car all rusty, clean your car regularly and take good care of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C'mon, Carry! You reminded me of my ex-girlfriend! Haha I just had the same experience last Saturday. This BumbleBee car (Chevy Camaro) was parked next to my car, then as soon as I set my eyes upon it, I went back to an earlier time when I was with my ex-girlfriend when I bought a Yellow Camaro. It was actually your experience that reminded me of her. :P

      Delete
  7. WOW!!! This article is such a coincidence!!! I bought my first car 1990 Plymouth Laser RS brand spanking new -- only 7 miles on it... I had it from 1990-1996 and when I sold it, it looked and drove like it did day 1... I'm looking for it right now as we d
    speak because I'd LOVE to buy it back :-)
    turquoise green color-- SHARP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey secksielegs....did you ever find your car?

      Delete

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary