Friday, May 25, 2012

Good Tool at the Gallery Diet





Aki Sasamoto performing "Good Tool"



















I've never been a really big fan of performance art. It tends to make me a little uncomfortable, especially when it's bad. So it was probably for the best that Marcella only told me we were going to something at The Gallery Diet, not that it was performance art, otherwise, I might not have come. As we walked up to the Wynwood gallery, familiar faces and what I would call, quite a crowd for an obscure performance art piece was gathering. The artist is Aki Sasamoto. And she was pretty cute to watch, and funny to listen to, as she cracked jokes in her heavy Japanese accent and ran around the space, using markers and white paper like a teacher. In the end, she used ice picks to throw at a white wall while blindfolded. Some of them stuck, some didn't. I wish I could tell you that I knew exactly what she was talking about (I didn't) and that I was very enlightened afterwards (I wasn't). But I felt a kinship for those who made it through the performance, which may be the very point of performance art I was missing all along.







Marcella and Daniel hangin' at the Gallery Diet

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary