Saturday, April 14, 2012

Swimming in the Amazon!


Black Water in the Peruvian Amazon

I'm a little like a lemming. If there is fresh, beautiful water around - I want in it. When I was out on a little skiff on the Amazon, it was no different. The water I'm speaking of wasn't the muddy brown water where I caught a piranha, it was the famous "black water". This water is so acidic and full of tannins that not much lives in there - especially by way of bacteria and piranha. This apparently happens from all the leaves that drop in there from specific trees, brewing a sort of tea. Even the locals take boats to collect this special water for cooking, and sometimes, drinking.

So the guides assured me that this water was perfectly ok if I really wanted to get in. They explained that even thought I might be the first Aqua Expedition guest to do so, they had swam in the black water all the time as children. So to the surprise of Ricky Ricardo and the other guests, I took off my clothes and slipped in. Everyone else just watched with a mixture of jealousy and horror until, without warning, Colleen finally did a fully-clothed cannonball. To be on the safe side, I didn't go under the water, but in the hot day, it was still so brisk and refreshing that the whole experience is perhaps the highlight of my trip. The water looked like orange pekoe tea and was exceptionally silky. It dyed my matching white underwear slightly, but it was well worth it.



The first swim

Skiffing
A little later in the day I was hot again and wanted to relive my experience and asked if they could find a nice place to for me to take another dip. This time they took me to a wide open part of the river and - seeing that they had missed out the first time - all the girls got in! Since no one got an ear infection or taken out by an anaconda, we'll put this under the column of good ideas I can take credit for.
drifting in the river


Don't get in this water - best to use a boat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary