Thursday, February 16, 2012

Serious Fahrvergnügen - Test Driving the New 2012 Passat

Passat dash with stainless

I've been threatening to go test drive Volkswagens for a long time now. And one rainy morning in South Miami while the Range Rover Sport was getting some new brakes, I finally did. Never mind that it first required a test drive of the Range Rover Evoque which then required the very nice sales man actually drop us off at the VW dealership a few blocks away.

So I finally got to try the Passat and I loved it. Given it's cheaper price point, I thought maybe it would feel "less than" other cars I've driven but it was far from it. In fact, the only thing that kept me from trading in my X3 on the spot was that, well, it wasn't there. Since I've been feeling a bit patriotic of late, I've been researching German cars built in the USA and built in Tennessee, the Passat is just one such car.


The car had good pickup, even on the base model, the doors had a nice heaviness not felt on Japanese cars and iPod docks come standard on all but the most basic models. And there are many. There are actually 10 different trims/ engine combos to choose from ranging from the $19,000 5 cylinder 170hsp (21 city/ 32 hwy mpg) version to the $32,000 V6 SEL Premium with  280 hsp and 20/28 mpg. There are even a few TDI versions (turbo-diesel) which I would recommend if you live near a station that sells diesel fuel, or better yet U-Gas in Hialeah that sells Biodiesel for $3.89 a gallon. These puppies have crazy pick-up and get 30 mpg in the city and 40 on the freeway. And of course, if you keep them topped off with biodiesel they are the greenest machines around.

Even if you can't do that, you'll want a Passat because it's an American-made car with German engineering and lots of bells and whistles for not a lot of money including a keyless start button and a Fender stereo system (yes, they use the super-cool logo from the famous American speakers). And did I mention the back seat has an insane amount of legroom for back seat passengers? Seriously, a man of 6'4" can ride in the back, no problem.

Some detractors are saying the outside styling is a bit boring for a Volkswagen. And they're not wrong. But I think that's what will make it a bit timeless and keep it from getting dated so it will look good six years from now when it's still sitting in your driveway. 


Grey Interior
Brochure photo of wood dash with beige interior

 Unveiled

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hadley, long time! Can't believe we live so near each other but we've never hooked up. A six year old keeps me awfully busy so I hardly ever get to Miami. Anyway, I have the 2012 jetta and I LOVE it! It is the same body as my 2005 325 bmw, but I have a huge trunckn great leg room in the back. It has all the same bells and whistles as the passat except my center console is cup holders instead of the stainless steel/wood grain covered. A good friend just got the passat and we were exchanging notes. My car has keyless entry and the passat doesn't. So when I approach my car with bags and gos leashes etc I don't take the car keys out of nmy purse to unlock or to start. Sooo cool! Anyway I love it and couldn't be happier with it, esp the pricetag! Hope all is well with you
    Xo Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary