Thursday, September 6, 2012

I love my Antenna!

Clear Stream Micron Indoor Antenna $99


One year ago we cut the cord. The cable cord that is. We called up the cable company that we would no longer be needing their services. We even went so far as to have them unwire the house. I'd like to say the plan was to stop watching TV altogether, but it wasn't. The real story is that we were tired of paying $200 a month to watch crappy reality shows that weren't even in HD unless we paid even more. Some cable companies offer HD everything automatically, not Atlantic Broadband.

I thought when we cut the cable we'd spend a lot less time in front of the television. While we do watch a little less, we watch a lot of Netflix, YouTube and, mostly, great shows in HD on our new antenna. This year I got to watch my first Olympics in high definition.. for free! What a revelation. My new favorite channels are ones I didn't even get with cable, especially Create (heavy on the cooking shows with Jacques Pepin, Julia Child and Ming Tsai). The other interesting thing is that most network channels have sub-channels you don't have with cable, like NBC has 6-1 (the usual), but also 6-2 (local videos a la Plum TV). It's certainly a case of quality over quantity. There are only about 30 channels, but unlike cable, I can almost always find something to watch, usually on one of my THREE PBS channels. One thing I don't watch is crappy reality shows. No Hunny Boo Boo, no Basketball Wives or Hip Hop and Love in Atlanta. So, if you're addicted to those, you might have some trouble, but maybe it's time you went to rehab.

Lava HD $57 Outdoor Antenna on Antenna Deals
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary