Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Juvia: A View From the Top!

Hamachi Espuma



Ever since Juvia opened earlier this year I've been hearing people talking about it. The views, the design, the romance. The food? Well, that was a subject of much debate that ranged from superlative statements like "Best meal of my life!" to "Not worth it." with some claiming their first time was amazing but they were disappointed on return. What to do? With uneven reviews from friends and high prices, it wasn't quite on the top of my list. But then I finally got a chance to go and see what all the fuss was about for myself. It's the views, stupid! 

Like their other restaurant in St. Barth, Bonito (I've been, it's good!), the views are spectacular. And the ambiance is unlike any other restaurant in Miami. It's sexy, but in a sophisticated way that feels more like... somewhere else. Not anyplace that actually exists mind you, just somewhere you wished would. And the views are spectacular by day or night. The food, is secondary, which not to say it's not good, it's just hard to compete with that view. But it tries. Hard. A few things I had could even fit under "best ever." Those included the buttery Hamachi Espuma (above), the Sea Scallops Plancha and then, the "candy bar" dessert. All amazing, all were recommendations from our waiter. He did not specifically recommend the Korean Marinated Short Ribs, which Yannick ordered anyway. They had pretty good flavor, but they were very, very dry. So the lesson here is that the menu might be a bit uneven, so it's best to ask the waiter what is best and pick from those selections.

So is Juvia worth it? Most defiantly, especially for a special occasion and I don't mean big birthday parties either, I mean the kind of celebrations that are best done à deux. Tête-à- tête, if you know what I mean ;)

Juvia's view down Lincoln

Juvia menu

1 comment:

Feel free to comment - no registration necessary